Sunday, November 16, 2008

Not Fit for the Inauguration

In high school I once fancied myself a poet. That lasted until I went back and read the verse I'd composed and realized how truly awful it was. It is perhaps a teenage smart kid rite of passage to try one's hand at poetry, and I failed. That being said I've been reading some Auden recently and last night I put together a piece I feel like putting up. Here goes:

Hope
Change and
Unity
Yes We Can!
For the first time in forever it seems
the button lies under a blackish hand.

Expectations rise to a fevered pitch
The fabric torn mended with a skinny stitch.

Nooses
Rumors
Slanders and
hushed fears abound
What in herd instinct we lost
In a new fangled shepherd is supposed to be found.

Absolute power is expected not to corrupt.
A new day dawns, its dusk feared to be abrupt.

War
Law and
Order
New boss same as old
Heat without light from fatted rubbing hands
Grabbing at goodies to stave away the cold.

Follow the money defined our just past age.
A forgetful ethic blinds each televised sage.

Barack
Hussein
Obama
A fearsome name indeed.
At the trough of power poisoned by conceit
the lowing public is called to feed.

Where great hope is gathered festers the rot of resent.
The bleeding past and gasping future give way to a tripping present.

No comments: